What is IUI (Intra Uterine Insemination)?
Husband’s sperm is collected using special laboratory techniques, healthy sperms are separated and they are transferred into the uterus.
Who need IUI?
• Semen with low count &/or reduced motility
• Premature ejaculation.
• Difficulty in sexual contact.
• Retrograde ejaculation
• Genital problems.
• Ovulation problems.
• Unexplained infertility.
• Those receiving injections for improving the ovulation have better success rate with IUI.
19-25 %, Successive IUI’s have higher success rate.
Pre medication before IUI
• Oral medication from3rd day of periods.
• Follow up of follicular growth using scan.
• Triggering ovulation with HCG injection when follicle is of right size.
• Success rate is improved by giving hormone injections to increase the number of follicles.
Do’s for Husband before IUI
• Avoid sexual contact/ Abstinence for at least 2 days before IUI
• Wash the genitals well before semen collection.
Details of IUI
• Couples have to outpatient at a specified time advised as per the timing of HCG injection.
• No diet restriction on day of procedure.
• Semen I collected and processed.
• After a specified time (around 1.5- 2 hours) – husband’s semen is placed into wife’s uterus using a thin cannula.
• Anesthesia/ sedation is not required.
• It is painless and bloodless procedure of less than 5 mins.
• Lady has to rest for at least 1 hour.
• She can return home the same day.
• IUI on 2 successive days can improve success rate.
• Bed rest following procedure is not needed.
• Avoid heavy work, long journey and sexual contact till the date of next expected period.
• If the next period is missed- check morning sample of urine for pregnancy/ report to doctor.