Heart disease is now the world’s leading causes of death, claiming 17.3 million lives each year. Latest statistics suggest that in India, there are roughly 30 million heart patients and two lakh surgeries are being performed every year. According to the Indian Heart Association, 50% of all heart attacks in Indians occur under 50 years of age.
Taking into consideration this alarming situation and as part of World Heart Day, KIMS Hospital last year had organized a strike for Healthy Hearts. This year KIMS came out with a novel initiative of KIMS Heart Union ( KHU) to create awareness among the people to maintain a healthy heart and to avoid heart attacks. As part of the program KIMS created a mock union Office and a Pandal, near the front gate of Kanakakunnu Palace in the city, which was similar to the traditional union offices in the state.
The KIMS Heart Union (KHU) flag was hoisted and inaugurated yesterday by the cultural czar and the founder – director of the Soorya Stage and Film society, Shri. Soorya Krishnamoorthy. Dr. M I Sahadulla, Chairman and Managing Director, Padmashree Dr. G Vijayaraghavan, Vice Chairman, Mr. E M Najeeb, Executive Director, Mr. Neelakannan COO, Dr. P M Saffia, KIMS Hospital, Father Joseph, Vice Principal, Christ Nagar School, Mr C K Suresh, Lions Club District Governor, Members from Trivandrum Management Association and many other dignitaries were present at the function. The KHU charter of demands was released during the function by Mr E M Najeeb.
The ten point demands put forward by the KIMS Heart Union were
- Reduce overweight and over eating.
- Avoid Smoking.
- Avoid alcohol.
- Children and adults should exercise atleast one hour daily.
- A complete health check up once in every three years after the age of 30.
- Individuals with family history of BP, heart attack, stroke should get a complete check up atleast once before the age of 20.
- Avoid fatty foods.
- Reduced intake of salt in order to reduce BP by 20%.
- Vacations with family members.
- Nutritious healthy diet during pregnancy for mothers for the proper development of internal organs of the children.
KIMS Heart Union would be initiating a series of heart health awareness programs round the year to educate the people on ways to maintain a healthy heart.